Monday 20 April 2015

185. Only thing to Fear is FEAR itself!

VIEWS@12180

Someone commented on my latest posting the other day. By the way, there have been VERY few over these trying years. Concern was voiced about my inclusion of the 'word' ISIS in conjunction with 'other words.' 

Upon reflection, after some discussion about 'what I thought I was trying to do', I realized how incredibly sensitive the general public has become. 

Remember US President, Franklin D. Roosevelt's speech, March 4, 1933 (and I mean this was a man saying this on March 4, 1933):    
Addressing himself to the causes of the economic crisis and its moral dimensions, Roosevelt placed blame squarely on the greed and shortsightedness of bankers and businessmen, as seen in the following excerpts: 
"So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is...fear itself — nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance. In every dark hour of our national life a leadership of frankness and of vigor has met with that understanding and support of the people themselves which is essential to victory. And I am convinced that you will again give that support to leadership in these critical days."
Addressing himself to the causes of the economic crisis and its moral dimensions, Roosevelt placed blame squarely on the greed and shortsightedness of bankers and businessmen, as seen in the following excerpts (I have emboldened some text):
"..rulers of the exchange of mankind's goods have failed through their own stubbornness and their own incompetence, have admitted their failure, and have abdicated. Practices of the unscrupulous money changers stand indicted in the court of public opinion, rejected by the hearts and minds of men.
The money changers have fled from their high seats in the temple of our civilization. We may now restore that temple to the ancient truths. The measure of the restoration lies in the extent to which we apply social values more noble than mere monetary profit.
Recognition of the falsity of material wealth as the standard of success goes hand in hand with the abandonment of the false belief that public office and high political position are to be valued only by the standards of pride of place and personal profit; and there must be an end to a conduct in banking and in business which too often has given to a sacred trust the likeness of callous and selfish wrongdoing.
Restoration calls, however, not for changes in ethics alone. This Nation asks for action, and action now.
Mankind has forever taken advantage of the vulnerable. After all, so does all of Nature. This, in a full view's objective, may be acceptable. Sensible or not, to cleanly fight an opponent in any ring is a choice, But, under the guise of 'Justice' it becomes a double edged sword.  There is paradox everywhere...

The age-old child's prayer looms strangely over a young developing brain when it needs to digest its full meaning:
"Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep,
If I shall die before I wake,
I pray the Lord my soul to take.
 Amen."

How in Heaven's name can you fall asleep with that little ditty on your brain?
YIP! Life's indeed like a box of chocolats: "You never know what yer going to get..."

Boy! That Forrest Gump was smart :)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment